Seeking GearSwap Arbitration – (and FS Sawyer Filter)

This is the first time I’ve done anything like this in several years as an active member and active seller on Gear Swap and BPL.
I bought an item from a seller here who is being unfair and unreasonable and I’d like to ask the court of public opinion to weigh in on the matter.
Last fall I purchased two items from Steve Zavoda. He gave me a fair price so price is not at all the issue. He sold me a Sawyer 2 liter gravity filter system and a titanium wood stove. I tinkered with the wood stove right away, but not with the filtration system. When I did test out the filter I found that it was defective. I emailed Steve about it and he replied with the suggestion that I squeeze the filter during operation because that’s how he got it to work when it was giving him trouble (that “trouble” was not disclosed at the time of sale). His tips did not work for me. I contacted Sawyer, they gave me two methods to try to attempt to unclog the filter. I tried them over a period of several days, and nothing was successful. I then shipped the filter to Sawyer in Florida, asking them to repair or replace. They never even responded to me. I called them up after a couple weeks. They explained to me on the phone their policy: during the winter months, and depending on geography (I am in Oregon) they will not replace a filter which had possibly and or hypothetically frozen in transit. “We are sorry there’s nothing we can do for you.”
Aghast at this response, I emailed Steve. I asked him whether it was possible that it had possibly frozen on one of the 3 backpacking trips he had taken it on (since I received it, it never left my bedroom). I suggested that he take the filter back to see if he can get it to work. He has – to be kind – completely blown me off.
So I am out about 50 bucks, but of course it is the principle of the thing that is frosting my chaps. In several years on BPL, and through a very high number of transactions, I have never dealt with this level of lameness, indifference, and unscrupulousness (although I have watched as others have, sadly).
I invite your response.

Oh & to make the mods happy, the non-working filter cartridge is for sale for $5 …w/ no worries about in-transit temperatures!

ADD: I have just been reminded, by searching his name & finding his OP, that he was “getting out of backpacking” and “selling All my gear”, which was 3 items, the 3rd being a Ti cook pot. Which of course may mean this exercise may be fruitless. BTW his descrip of the Sawyer stated: “It was super convenient and I never had an issue with it. I’ve used it as a bladder or to filter the water at camp. It really was nice just filling it up, hanging it, and coming back in 15-20 minutes with fresh water.”  BTW the OP is topic 107649

Detail

Tagged Manufacturers

Tags