2005 all-wheel-drive (AWD/4WD) Chevy Astro Camper Van

Meet Big Percy. He’s a 2005 all-wheel-drive (AWD/4WD) Chevy Astro Camper Van. Percy’s got way more character than the Sprinter vansions that overrun all your favorite beaches, trailheads and boondocking spots. Percy does it all, from Baja surf trips, to Mammoth powder days, to climbing trips all over the west, to just road tripping. His adventure-van bona fides are impeccable. Traveling in Big Percy is the perfect middle ground between glamping and all the comforts of home. He’s low-key enough to not attract unwanted attention.
I acquired Percy in 2019, saving him from a life of servitude at University of Colorado Boulder. From the seats back, he was stripped down to the metal for sound proofing and insulation; then recovered with vinyl flooring, wainscot and a far-out Indian print tapestry. The cockpit carpet was replaced with weatherproof diamond rubber matt, and a backup camera was installed. On the roof, Percy got an extra-large storage box and a pressurized shower tank. His suspension was lifted 2.5” and appropriate wheels and 6-ply M+S tires installed. All the plastic body panels were removed, fender flairs installed and his rocker panels rhino-lined. The living quarters include: a couch that pulls out to a double bed, deep sink with a foot pump and 5 gallon water tank, propane stove and lots of storage space. There is an isolated 12v 200Ah electrical system that powers a 3-speed fan, LED lighting, a 500w heater, and a host of USB and 12v outlets. I have also used the system to power a Dometic refrigerator (Not included) for days at a time.
Percy is comfortable. My wife and I have spent up to 10 days on the road together and remain happily married. I’ve also shared the bed with climbing and skiing partners at trailheads for alpine starts. The insulation and cozy living space make those sub-freezing nights bearable. And the heater and AWD drivetrain ensure you’re up-and-at-em’ for first chair on power days. I’ve also spent many a work day on the couch with a laptop grinding out what needs to get done so I can get back out and play.

$16500. Cash. No trades. More info/photos:

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/rvs/d/san-diego-2005-all-wheel-drive-awd-4wd/7681793921.html

Detail

Tags