FS: 2011 Subaru Forester, camper build out - $2,500 - Eugene, Oregon

Located in Eugene, semi local drop offs considered. 

** I can't figure out how to post more than one picture and I've been on the computer way too long to F with this any more, so until I get more pictures posted, I have several on the add I put up in on Craigslist. My apologies for my technological ineptitude. **

https://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/d/eugene-2011-subaru-forester-camper/7657392779.html

Her name is Hawk Chaser: The Belle of I90, the phantom specter of the Missouri Desert. And she is what she is. A beat up, well running Subaru with a DIY camper/sleeper platform. She’s a dirtbag land yacht.

Yes, she’s in pretty rough cosmetically, but boy she looks cool, doesn’t she? Peep those rims, my friend. And those mudflaps? Are those Rockblockz?? They are!! I like to say “she’s got a lot of aesthetic character”; it’s part of her charm. Every stain on the headrest is a memory, and every spot on the seat is an adventure. She’s covered in liberal outdoorsy stickers so everyone will know that you go outside a lot and vote with your conscience. Her headliner is covered in signatures from passengers, friends and family: Members of the 100 mile club, those who’ve spent 100 miles or more in the passenger seat. Also one from the only time she was ever valet’ed (and if you tell her friends she went through a valet, she’ll never speak to you again.) I’m not sure about all the pins in the ceiling. Part of me wants to keep them, but part of me feels they should stay with her. I guess that’s a conversation we can have. Maybe her best looking years are behind her, but she’s seen more of this country than the majority of its inhabitants, and she’s itching to see more.

Mechanically she’s still doing great. A little noisy, but I’ve kept up on her maintenance and recently had her checked out and was assured she’s still running well. One caveat to that: Her catalytic converter is shot so the computer keeps throwing a code. It doesn’t affect performance or gas mileage so I’ve left it as it’s a rather expensive fix (that doesn’t really need to be done). Oh and there's a super slow refrigerant leak. She got brand new brakes and tires all the way around about 10k miles ago. Also, her first motor blew in Ft. Pierre South Dakota while on a round country road trip, leaving me and my cohort stranded for 3 weeks. So, she’s on her 2nd motor and I have no idea how many miles are actually on it. The odometer reads 221,000, so that’s what the body and transmission have on it (I had the transmission checked and serviced 6 months ago). You read that right, this car has so much life that she came back from the dead. But it’s cool, she’s not a zombie.

The platform and cubby were built by me and my Cousin Mike. He’s a hell of a guy and an engineer by trade, so you know it’s structurally solid and haphazardly but very well and built, very sturdy. The longer side (meant for sleeping) measures 5’10” from the hatch to the edge of the platform. I pull the passenger seat forward just a hair and roll out a 6’ sleeping mat and it fits perfectly. I’m 5’9 and my head doesn’t hang off, but if you’re taller than 5’10” you may have to get creative. Also, it’s a permanent mod: The rear seatbelts and the brackets to lock the back seats into place are also gone. So even if you find new back seats you can’t get them to safely lock into place. And even if you do, there are no seatbelts in the back to safely keep people in them. Womp womp. But you won’t need them, right? Because it’ll just be you and a passenger seat full of hopes, dreams and can-do attitude as you carefully pick your way through approved back country roads to access far flung camps and adventures, and you’ll be sleeping where the passengers would otherwise go, grateful for the respite brought on by the accompanying solitude. (Truth be told, you can unsafely transport folks in the back if need be. I just highly recommend you stay away from vehicle check points while doing so – says the voice of experience.)

What else. The steering wheel is wrapped in 550 cord, which is awesome for grip and prevents it from getting too cold in the winter or hot in the summer. I did that while I was stranded in Ft. Pierre. There are rubber floor mats, too. That’s cool. Oh! She’s got an aftermarket stereo system. It's nothing super fancy, but you can hear episodes of Climbing Gold and the Dirtbag Diaries above the wind noise. I know I mentioned the aftermarket rims and mudflaps before, but they are pretty dope, right? There’s a towing hitch, in case you need to pull a U-Haul trailer from Texas to Wisconsin. Or from Wisconsin to Oregon. Trust me, she’ll do it no questions asked. Also, the roof rack bars stay with her (way handy to have). ** The Thule box is NOT included, it’s just on all the best pictures I have of her. **

I’ve spent 7 years viewing unimaginable beauty all over this country through her windshield (and sometimes out the back window.) Some of the best, most tragic, most amazing, life altering moments of my existence happened in the driver seat. I've camped in her and lived out of her for months on end, and I really can’t say enough to describe what this vehicle has meant to me, and how important and meaningful a part of my life she’s been. It quite literally pains me to have to set her free, but it’s time we part ways, and with that I’m seeking a new loving and kind home for her. Someone who will continue taking her to untold depths of adventure and exploration. Someone who will allow her to carry them into the next chapter of their life. Someone who will be her human companion, not just her driver.

Clean and clear title in hand.

I'm sorry, but no I will not do partial trades for climbing gear. No, not even if it's a double rack. Did you say a triple rack? Ok, maybe we can talk if it's a triple rack.

Detail

Tags