SCAMMER ALERT: John Brawner and Jerrold Dennis

To start things off. I have done hundreds of transactions online and rule NUMBER ONE is never send funds through F&F.... I broke my own rule and it seems I'm out $55 because of it (could've been $110 but you live and learn). I will be posting the entire email conversation but for those who don't want to read the entire thing the cliffnotes are, I had "John Brawner" (who I know believe is the same person who created the Jerrold Dennis email) reach out to me and say they had a haul bag available and is willing to ship. As you can see in the messages they wrote some story about getting scammed and refused to send the bag if I used buyer protection. We settled on me paying 1/2 until he shipped the bag to me, then upon receiving the bag I would send over the remaining 1/2. Basically as you can read, delays and excuses ensue and he tries to get even more cash out of me. Overall, If he is correct and the bag gets sent, I will pay him the remaining amount, but after the sketchy interaction I believe there was never a bag and I am just out my $55. Lesson learned.... Also once the transaction went through the paypal money went to a "Beatrice Ngomo" haha so I am 99% I got scammed. BUT BUYERS BEWARE!!! someone's out there 

The conversation is below....

Hello David,

Thanks for reaching out. Yes I have a Black Diamond Touchstone 70L Haul Bag for sale and in good condition. (Pictures attached)Asking Price: $110 (including shipping costs)Check it out and let me know if it interests you. Send me your complete shipping address if you are cool with the price. Let me know if you are not. 
ThanksJerrold.On Fri, Aug 20, 2021, 12:24 David wrote:
Hello,

I got referred to reach out to you about purchasing a haul bag by John Brawner. I was looking for a Touchstone sided bag that will get me and my buddy up a two day ascent. I own the largest size from Metolius and it’s much too large for a one night ascent.

Thanks,

David 

That’s exactly what I’m looking for! I’ll take it at $110, what’s your PayPal? My address is below:

David

Thanks,
David 

-----------------------------

I use Zelle to receive payment for my business. I've got PayPal though but I don't use it to receive payment on business basis. Reason is that I've  encountered scammers alot of time ripping me off my goods and at the same time my money. A buyer once provided an invalid address. The delivery company couldn't find the location to deliver the item. After several attempts, the item was flagged as undelivered. The buyer reached out to the delivery company and gave them a new address where the item was delivered. The buyer got the item and filed complaint to PayPal that the item was not delivered. I lost both my goods and money.

Since then I've not been receiving payment with PayPal. I only provide it if buyer will send via Friends and Family F&F if not I use Zelle or Venmo.

Thanks

Jerrold.

----------------------------

Hello,

Well the only way I get buyer protection is through PayPal, which I am willing to pay the extra 3%. F&F, zella, Venmo give me no protection what so ever. You get paid the same with me covering the fees and I have done hundreds of transactions on MP and eBay with no issues with PayPal. Let me know your PayPal email address and I can send it over. It will also confirm my address.
Thanks,
David 

The issue is not about validating your address, the issue is with me losing both goods and not receiving money, some people that ripped me off my goods came with a valid address too. 

I understand your fears I have mine too. If I things go south, I lose in both ways.

I am willing to sell to you if you will make half the payment now via F&F and the balance when you receive the item. (I'm still at risk here, but at least on a lighter one). Sounds safer for both parties that way. ThanksJerrold.

I’d be willing to do that, I can send $55 now and $55 when I receive the bag. In that case, Venmo is probably the easiest way for me. Provide your Venmo address and I can send it over now.

Thanks,
David

Sorry David,

My Partner who will confirm your payment for Venmo is not around right now, I'm with the PayPal. Maybe we should just settle for the f&f. Let me know when you ready so I can provide my PayPal info.

Thanks 

Jerrold.

---------------------------

Okay David,

Here's is my PayPal info

ngomobeatrice@(taken out for their protection but if someone else gets scammed I can provide the @)

Send me a screenshot of your payment once done. 

Thanks 

Jerrold.

-----------------------

On Aug 20, 2021, at 12:41 PM

Payment received. Got your shipping address too, will be shipping the item and send you the tracking info once the item leaves. 

It's my pleasure doing business with you.

Thanks once again,

Jerrold.

----------------------

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021, 14:40 David wrote:

Hello,
Just looking for an update on the haul bag and wondering if it is going to go out today in the mail.

Thanks,
David

------------------------

Hello David,

I just called my friend that works at USPS and helps me with shipping for the tracking info since the item leaves today and he said the item is on hold buy the customs, that it's documentation was queried. And now to clear the item there will be a need for an extra $25. Don't know if you will be able to send me 25bucks so I can the item with it. 

Let me know what you know what you say about about that. I will be hanging on here waiting for your response. 

Thanks

Jerrold.

------------------------

Hello,
Also referring to your asking price, you said shipping fees were included in the $110, I’m not sure why these extra costs are added on to my end if they are referring to shipping.
“ Asking Price: $110 (including shipping costs)”
Thanks,

David

-------------------------

The extra costs should be on me if you made the complete payment for the bag. I've payment was made and I've use most of it for the shipping. 

The item was suppose to leave yesterday but didn't leave until today so I didn't get the tracking info when I left there yesterday.

I'm in the UK and not US.

I apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused you. Wasn't expecting anything like this as my goods has never been held by the customs before. 
ThanksJerrold. 

-------------------------

Okay, two things I’m having a problem with. I guess it was my bad in the first place to not clarify that you were shipping from the UK, had I known that, I probably wouldn’t have bothered with the haste for both of our sakes. 

We had agreed that once I received the bag I would pay you the remaining $55 for the full amount. That is what we had agreed upon and that is what I intend on paying you once the bag arrives. You never mentioned that because I was only paying 1/2 to begin with that you were going to charge me extra shipping costs that you had already agreed to paying. In my mind there are two options that I am willing to go along with.

1) You honor our original agreement and ship the bag to me after I have already paid you 1/2 the asking price. Once I receive the bag I will immediately send over the remaining amount ($55)

2) Ask your friends at USPS to give you your bag back and refund me my initial $55 and we can be on our separate ways. I will look elsewhere for a different haul bag. 

Thanks,
David 

The bag is held by the customs there's no way I can barge into them and get the bag. It will have to be cleared and I don't have extra cash on me to do that, I've used most of it for the shipping and the rest for to get meds for my daughter.

Thanks

Jerrold.

-----------------------------

I am unwilling to send any other money unless a bag shows up. If it shows up I will honor my end of the deal and send you the remaining dollar amount. In my personal opinion I believe you are scamming me and should have known better to not send gifted cash through PayPal. I am considering my $55 lost to a scammer but if the bag miraculously shows up on my door I will honor our agreement and send the remaining dollar amount. If your bag sits in customs and your government refuses to send it, I guess we both lose out.

Thanks,
David 

------------------------------

That is the last I heard from "Jerrold". 

Detail

Tagged Manufacturers

Tags