[WTS] MYOG Rain and Wind Jacket Prototypes

Hey everyone, I've been making and selling custom gear for the past year and have stepped up production this summer under the name Skylight Gear. These are my first four jacket prototypes so please bear in mind that the design and construction methods are all a work in progress. With that said I wouldn't be looking to sell these if I didn't think they were functional.

Sizing note: I made all of the patterns from scratch and made changes on each iteration so it's difficult to definitively assign sizes. I'm 5'11, 150lbs and typically wear a Men's Medium. The order from smallest to largest would be 7D Silynylon Rain Jacket (on the smaller end of a Medium imo), Argon 90 Wind Jacket, Membrane Silpoly PU4000 Rain Jacket, 1.1 oz Silpoly Rain Jacket (between a medium and large). I have a medium Marmot Precip and I would put that between the last two in size. I can fit an REI Co-op Medium down jacket under all of these without it feeling tight.

The main problem with the fit on all of these jackets is the hood. In general it's not tall enough so when the zipper is zipped up all the way it's hard to put on the hood and, particularly on the 7D sil and Argon 90 jackets, when the hood is on it pulls up the front of the jacket (the pictures show this well). Not a major problem, but certainly an annoyance. Also, I didn't stiffen the brims to save weight, so the hoods work best with a hat.

Edit: forgot to add that none of the rain jackets are seam sealed. I used French seams which are water resistant and incorporated raglan sleeves to remove seams from the top of the shoulders. I stood on my porch in a downpour in the first jacket for 15 minutes and the seams didn’t leak at all. With that said, I can’t guarantee that they’re completely waterproof

1: Membrane Silpoly PU4000 Rain Jacket, 3.42 oz. - $55

Pictures

Features: Hood, waist, and wrist adjustment, 14" pit-zips, #3 zipper (not a waterproof zipper - I would imagine that if you get caught in a massive storm some water will get in but otherwise it will be pretty water resistant)

This was only the second jacket I made so some aspects aren't great, notably the waist adjustment stitching (I changed the design on subsequent versions) and the fact that one of the sleeves was sewed on inside-out. And yeah, crimson and olive drab wasn't my first choice for colors but this jacket was made from scrap pieces. Still more fashionable than Frogg Toggs, no?

2: 1.1 oz Silpoly Rain Jacket, 3.83 oz. - $75

Pictures

Features: Hood, waist, and wrist adjustment, 14" pit-zips, #3 Uretek zipper

No serious defects, mostly just some shaky stitching in a few spots. One note that applies to all of the jackets is the #3 separating zipper pull is small enough that I can't fit cord through both openings to make the zipper pull longer like I do on bivys and tarps. If you have thoughts on how to work around this, let me know.

3: 7d Silnylon Rain Jacket, 2.95 oz. - $85

Pictures

Features: Hood, waist, and wrist adjustment, 14" pit-zips, #3 Uretek zipper

Absolutely love this fabric! I can't speak to its durability but it has a feeling of high quality to it. At a minimum I think it would make a great sub-3 oz PCT rain/wind jacket but I just made one for myself that I'm going to use as my primary rain jacket on the east coast. The fabric is twice as expensive as 1.1 Silpoly but I'm only pricing the jacket a little higher than the previous one because the construction quality is lower. Because of how thin it is, there's a learning curve to using it and you can see that for instance at the bottom of the zipper where I had to add multiple pleats. The shock cord channel in the hood also looks rough (but functional).

4: Argon 90 Wind Jacket, 2.77 oz. - $80

Pictures

Features: Hood and waist adjustments, elastic wrist cuffs, #3 zipper

Everything came out pretty well on this one, except the hood issue that I explained above. The only other change I wish I made was to make the elastic wrist cuffs tighter. If you're interested in reading about Argon 90 as a wind jacket fabric, check out that was posted on today. Also, Moroccan Blue is a fantastic color, especially in Argon 90.

All prices include shipping CONUS. Add $10 for Canada, $14 for international. If it doesn't fit right or you don't like it for any reason, I'll accept returns for a full refund. I'll also provide repairs or refunds (refunds are more likely because I'm heading up to university in a few weeks and don't have time or space to sew there) for all major construction defects but please keep in mind that these are prototypes and the fabrics, especially 7d silnylon, are fragile. If you really want pockets added and are willing to wait, I'm happy to hold onto the jacket and add them at the end of the November when I'm free.

Let me know if you have any questions! If you're interested in what I've been making, check out @skylightgear on Instagram. I only have time to make gear during my breaks from school, but if you're interested in any gear hit me up and I can try to make it happen

Detail

Tagged Manufacturers

Tags