FS: Prototype Silpoly Tarp – 10.75oz – $60 Shipped

Hey folks, I decided I wanted to try and make a shelter like the Tramplite but in single wall. Before doing this in cuben, I made a quick prototype with Membrane Silpoly. I made some miscalculations so it’s not perfect, but it’s light and I’m only looking for the cost of materials. I sewed in what would serve as the door if the shelter were fully finished. I think the door would still be great for someone using a bug bivy (added rain protection) or no bivy at all as it will keep in some warmth. The bottom half is the 7d Robic from RSBTR that is supposedly somewhat breathable and it has a huge rainbow zipper ala Duplex. The beak seam somehow ended up off center when I was gluing the peak patches on but it’s still perfectly functional. All reinforcements are radial and are bonded with GE Silicone IIĀ <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>glue</span> (read: they’re not going anywhere). I have cranked on the tie outs and they’re solid. I will leave on the lineloc 3s at all the tie outs, which are attached with spectra just like Yama shelters. You will need to provide guylines and stakes. The pitch is decent but due to <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>not</span> being cuben, the panels naturally sag inward a tad so I wouldn’t recommend this for anyone over 6′. It is 100″ W x 46″ tall x ~65″ deep and weighs 10.75 oz. I have ~$60 in it so that’s all I’m looking to get. Should be a nice cheap and lightweight option for someone trying to go UL on a tight budget. It has not been seam sealed.

NOTE: this only has the door, it does not have a floor or full bug protection but the door would help a lot if someone wanted to use a bug bivy or no bivy inside.

Here’s a photo of the door before installation. It is actually sewn into the french seam where the beak attaches as not to have any additional stitching in the canopy to attach it.

Door is obviously unzipped.Please note the slightly off-center seam down the beak. Still gets taught and is strong. Also not the mesh hanging down along the perimeter. This would have attached to the floor like a Duplex. It’s not very long so wouldn’t so a whole lot for bugs but might help a little. I had planned to cut it off before shipping it but will be glad to leave it on if you so please.

Dog not included…

Detail

Tagged Manufacturers

Tags