8 pairs of men's softshell pants, 32/34/M waists, Arc'Teryx, Patagonia, OR, First Ascent, EMS

|
I’ve been wearing softshells that didn’t fit well for years, and finally decided to try a whole bunch of pants out and determine which ones work best. Experiment’s done, and I’ve got a bunch of pants to sell. All have many years of life left and I’d bet most can be repaired for free/cheap by the OEM if you're nice to the retail folks.

These prices are the lower of 1) ~40% off the best sale price I can find, or 2) ~60% off list, with adjustments for wear. If they don’t sell here you can look for them at the Rock & Snow annex in a few weeks.

Pick up in person or shipping's $6.80 for one pair / $13.45 for multiple. These are USPS flat rate prices and I’ll be lucky to get them into those tiny boxes anyhow, so please don’t complain. I’ll eat the 1st 3% of Venmo (all of it) or Paypal (2/3 of it) fees if you pay by card.

Photos here: bit.ly/1LEjyVL

• Arc’Teryx

$35 Rampart, 34x32 ($77 on REI sale)
Used for a few seasons with the belt tightened down quite a bit. Small hole in 1 pocket and some slightly frayed stitching, but tons of life in them. My go-to rock season pant.

$55 Palisade, 34x32 ($97 on Backcountry sale)
Picked these up a few years ago at the IME consignment shop and loved them, but for the size. I actually thought they were Gamma LTs, but some quick Googling tells me they’re not. Regardless, these are awesome ice season pants, though slightly billowy. Also great on rock during shoulder season, as they’re ever-so-slightly warmer than the Ramparts. Tiny hole on one of the inseams.

• Patagonia

$30 Simple Guide, 32 ($99 list/discontinued)
Used a bunch over a few seasons. Great pants but fit me really weird. That’s actually the impetus for this whole experiment. A bunch of crampon holes, mostly patched. Some probably need repatching.

$90 Alpine Guide, 34 ($229 list/discontinued)
Like the Simple Guides these were used for a whole bunch of climbing and also ski mountaineering (they fit over boots). Similar fit issues, though. And similar in that they’ve got a bunch of little crampon holes.

• Outdoor Research

$40 Voodoo, 32 ($69 on Mountain Gear sale)
Nice pants and in great shape. But they fit weird in my lower legs. Just tested out this season after buying new from another MP seller.

$60 Cirque, M ($105 on Mountain Gear sale)
Also nice pants. Really nice, actually, but similar fit problems. One small hole way up on an inseam – must have been a branch because I rarely high step like that! Again, these were new this season from another MP seller.

• Eddie Bauer First Ascent

$25 Guide, 32x32 ($40 on Eddie Bauer sale)
Nice pants but I’m going with dead birds instead as they fit perfectly and I’m (apparently) a huge brand whore. A small wear spot on one pocket from some rock scumming. Light ice year here in the east. Like the OR pants, these were new this season, bought from another MP seller.

$80 Mountain Guide, M ($180 list/discontinued)
Freakin great pants, but again I’m going dead bird. Small crampon hole, and the material is oddly pilling a bit on the butt. Guess I sit more often than I realized when belaying up my seconds. Also new this season from the same MP seller.

• EMS

$30 Endo, M ($70 list/discontinued)
Nice pants but fit me really large. No way I could make them work for my skinny frame. Couple of small holes, otherwise excellent shape.