FS: Vintage The North Face Superlight Sleeping Bag

|
Classic, Brown Label, TNF Superlight Sleeping Bag.

- Slim Fitting Mummy Bag with rapid taper at the thighs to the box toe.

- Slant Box Baffle Construction with Goose Down Fill.

- Dark Blue, 1.9 Ounce Ripstop Nylon.

- Right Hand Zip. Near Full Length, 2 Way, #10 German, Nylon Optilon Coil Zipper.

- Zipper is Backed by a Well Filled Draft Tube.

- Size Large (Fits to 6'6"). Total Outside Length from Top of Hood to Toe is 84".

- Weight is 3 Pounds, 4 Ounces on my Postal Scale.

Purchased around 1974 in a small backpacking store in Flemington, NJ where I was working while in college. This is a well cared for, properly stored, in very good condition original Superlight. There are no rips, holes or pulls in the shell. I see no stains and it has just been washed and is ready to use. The loft is still very good.

Notes -

With the early TNF sleeping bags, it was very easy for the zipper to become snagged on the material and specifically the draft tube. I learned to hold the zipper pull with my thumb and index finger and stuck the others down between the zipper sides. In this manner I sort of cleared the way of fabric as it was zipped up. On occasion, if the fabric became stuck in the zipper pull, the coils might separate. No damage ever occurred to the fabric as it should not and once cleared of the fabric and reversed over the separation, it was self repairing. The frequency of separation is increasing and at some point the zipper will need to be replaced. This could be done now and the bag be sent directly to TNF and then on to the buyer from TNF. Something to consider.

When it comes to replacing zippers, I have always found the North Face support and warranty exemplary and was never charged a penny. This is the original zipper.

I have felt that TNF size large was a bit over optimistic in fitting to 6' 6". Compare your height to the overall length of the bag as stated above.

TNF at first rated the Superlight to 10 degree's, then it was changed to 5 degree's. At 10 degree's I was always a bit chilly. For me, it was more of a 15 degree bag for the low.

Asking $80.00 plus shipping from Estes Park, CO 80517.

TNF Superlight.

Mummy Style.

Dark Blue.

Box Foot Construction.

TNF Brown Label. Early TNF.

Opened.

Detail

Tagged Manufacturers

Tags