PROBLEM WITH BUYER

18 mins ago
|
So, I sold a GriGri2 with a Petzl Attache biner for $65 shipped. I had multiple offers within minutes of putting the post up. I did take pictures of the items, but did not post them with the OP.

However, I did send the pictures to anyone that asked. Naturally I sold to the first person that contacted me as that's usual, fair practice. The person I sold to did not ask for pictures.

I have been using MP For Sale forum for quite some time. I have sold multiple items to multiple users. I have never had a problem. I always ship fast, and sell as advertised. I'm sure I could get people to vouch for my integrity, but that's not what I'm getting at.

Personally, I think this is just a new buyer and he was expecting brand new stuff for a deep discount, but that's just my opinion. Anyway, here's a couple pics of the items taken the day I put the post up, and here's my correspondence with the disgruntled buyer. Based on this info, if you guys (and gals) were me, would you refund this person's money? Is what I sent in terrible shape? Am I completely out of line?

Feedback is welcome. Also, if I do decide to refund his money, and he sends the items back, would any of you be interested- with the caveat that the items are still in the VERY GOOD condition that I sent them?
Gri Attache 1

Gri Attache 2

And here's the email that I got this morning followed by my response:

Jake,

I have been out of town so I just opened the package and I have to say I am disappointed.

I believe the words you used to described the grigri was "newish" or "newer" and I think this grigri I received from you is certainly not. The grooves in it are some of the worst I have ever seen. A friend of mine offered his grigri to me in much better shape for $40 and I didn't want it because of the groove. The grooves on the on you sent me are much worse and even sharp in some areas.

Granted you said nothing of the condition of the Petzl Attache, I was at least expecting useable condition. The rope groove was horrendous and its basically paper weight.

Grigri 2's are currently on sale on BC.com for $70 so I basically got $5 off for a very used grigri.

If you would like to try and sell it to someone else I'd gladly ship it back if you could return the money via paypal plus $5 return shipping.

Another option I would be okay with is a partial refund. like I said I could have had a grigri for $40 in better condition. So $30 back seems fair.

Thanks,

My response:

I must say I'm a bit taken back by your reaction. I've sold gear that was not quite in as good condition as yours for roughly the same price and never received a complaint. Ever.

I'm glad I got pictures of these before I sent them to you. It is clear from the anodization that is still on the Gri Gri that it is not in the shape that you describe. Nor is the Attache. The anodization is worn off on both ends, one end from the GriGri and the other end from the belay loop. There most certainly is no groove that you speak of on either the carabiner or the Grigri. I wouldn't sell items if they weren't in PERFECTLY USABLE CONDITION. That means NO METAL MISSING FROM WEAR. I won't be refunding your money. You didn't ask for pictures which I had. The burden is on you to ensure the goods you are getting are right for you.
Furthermore, the Petzl Attache retails for $14 and the GriGri retails for $100. Just because it's on sale right now (it was not at the time of your sale, so that's really irrelevant) somewhere doesn't mean I have to adjust my price from that. You got $114 worth of goods in USABLE CONDITION for $65 shipped. So, essentially you got 43% off retail. That's roughly the going rate for pro deal/wholesale, and is more than fair for the items listed- if it wasn't, you wouldn't have emailed me within MINUTES of the posting going up, along with four other MP users right behind you.

I have sold numerous items to numerous different users, and never before have I had someone have a problem with the goods I offered or the price at which I offered them. I've been selling for quite some time. Feel free to take this issue up with PayPal, in fact I encourage you to. You did receive your goods though, so it's not an issue of fraud.

Here's what I recommend- first, I'm going to get feedback myself. Second, I recommend you use these pictures attached to this email- the very same pictures I took of YOUR ITEMS the day before I send them to you and try to sell the GriGri and the Attache on MP. I guarantee you get multiple hits within hours of putting it up- WITH THE PICTURES. Know why? Because it's a good deal. So, if you're thinking of attempting to smear my name, offer me that courtesy. Post it up, offer $65 shipped for both items and see what happens. Use the pictures I send you, or your own, but if there is any additional wear since you received them, it will be obvious. I took high res. pictures from different angles (ironically so it would show that the items were in good working condition). If you get no hits, then we'll talk. Please act with integrity as I will also.

So, based on this, what would you do? One take away for me is that I'll never again put items up for sale without offering pictures with the post.

Detail

Tagged Manufacturers

Tags