Digicam (or something similar) PLUQ

My first UQ was a Poncho Liner Underquilt (PLUQ) that I made from an Army-Navy store poncho liner. I bought the poncho liner right around the beginning of 2014, with the sole intent of making the PLUQ. From reading posts on this site, it's probably not an authentic U.S. Army poncho liner, and the tag does say Made in China, but it seems to work well enough. All in all, it was a great entry for me into the UQ world (because I couldn't keep pads underneath me in my single layer hammock at the time). It worked well for the 3 or 4 summer camping nights I used it, but I'm not sure I could use it much below 50 degrees, as I'm a pretty cold sleeper. This was my experiment to let me know that I strongly preferred UQ's to pads. Anyway, here are the details: Size: - Finished size: 58" X 42". - The poncho liner was 58" X 84", and I just folded it over to it's current size. Design: - I followed the instructions on Derek Hansen's Ultimate Hang web site for a No Sew PLUQ (http://theultimatehang.com/2013/01/d...ew-and-no-sew/), and then just sewed the side opposite the fold together. Suspension: - The 1/8" shock cord suspension fits my 11' hammocks well. - I have a mitten hook on each end for connecting to the suspension. If I were to use it now, I'd probably use micro carabiners rather than mitten hooks for their slightly easier use. But the mitten hooks work well enough. - I put a cord lock in the middle of the sewn side that can be used to tighten the suspension, or if you want to use the PLUQ with a smaller hammock. - The suspension runs through fabric channel on the sewn closed side. - On folded side, I sewed a channel along the fold that contains the suspension shock cord. Venting and Closing the Ends: - Each end of the PLUQ has another shock cord (3/32") running through the fabric channel, with a cord lock for opening or closing the end. - The two layers of poncho liner were not sewn closed here. If I had to use this again, I might have considered sewing the ends closed because they bunched up a bit when tightening the end cord locks...I sometimes had to either reach back and sort of realign the two parallel layers of poncho liner, or just get out of the hammock and realign them. Because the holes where the shock cords enter/exit the fabric channels is not reinforced in any meaningful way, I'd suspect that those holes would grow and wear over time. I'd suggest finding a way to reinforce those holes. I did my best to show these holes in a couple of the pictures below, but it was hard to make it clear with a camera. CONUS, including shipping, using PayPal, for $35. Here are some pictures: 2015-05-08 13.04.58.jpg 2015-05-08 13.01.21.jpg 2015-05-08 13.01.01.jpg 2015-05-08 13.00.51.jpg 2015-05-08 13.00.35.jpg 2015-05-08 13.00.20.jpg 2015-05-08 13.00.19.jpg 2015-05-08 13.00.02.jpg

Detail

Tags