FS: The North Face Ring Oval Intention – 3 Person, 4 Season Tent

The tent is in Estes Park, CO for inspection and purchase. Willing to ship at cost with payment through Paypal or Venmo. I enjoy repairing and restoring great vintage gear for continued use and to keep it out of the landfills.The North Face Ring Oval Intention is a 3 person, 4 season hemispherical dome first offered by the The North Face in 1975. It is a double wall tent (a main canopy and rainfly) designed to withstand high winds in mountaineering use but works equally as well for summer camping trips and travel. The Ring Oval is considered to be the first true geodesic backpacking tent based upon the concepts of American architect Buckminster Fuller.

Features:

– 1.9 ounce ripstop nylon canopy and rain fly.

– 2.8 ounce urethane coated nylon taffeta floor and sidewalls.

– 6 Upgraded Easton aluminum alloy poles.

– The large, circular entrance and 2 windows have zippered panels to seal the tent. Each with bug netting.

– Free standing.

– Zippered cooking and disposal hole sewn into the floor.

– TNF foam spacers added to help in maintaining “dead air space” (separation) between the rain fly and canopy in heavy, wet snow conditions.

Condition – This is a well used vintage tent that has been completely restored. There was materials usage and wear to be addressed but no serious structural damage had occurred through the years. All and all pretty well care for. I patched a couple of tiny holes in the floor and the former owner had repaired another. The entire tent was cleaned, spot treated and then soaked in warm water and Mirazyme to insure there was no mildew present. There are no funky, old tent odors. The mosquito netting is in good shape and the zippers run smoothly.

Restoration:

– The poles are new replacements from the TNF with 2 nights of use. Tent pole technology has advanced since 1975. The original poles were upgraded with the current 7075 aluminum alloy used in 4 season tents.

– All polyurethane waterproof coating on the floor, sidewalls and rainfly has been renewed with Kenyon Recoat 3. At least 3 or more applications were completed, on both sides of the fabric. Note that recoated nylon becomes more stiff and a little boardy. No longer the supple coated fabric of a newer tent.

– All seams/stitching on the floor and sidewalls were sealed with McNett Seam Grip. Inside and out.

The rain fly and side walls have been given a spray coating of Silicone Water- Guard repellent.

– The stretch cord attachments from rain fly to floor perimeter seam were replaced.

– A few clips and some stretch cord improved the entrance panel open position.

Vitals:

– 51″ high at the peak.
– 47.9 feet of area.
– Approximate total weight is 10 – 11 pounds.

———

The tent has been used on 2 overnight trips since restoration. No further work is needed. Sale includes main body, rain fly, poles, pegs. Asking $700.00. Payment through Paypal, Venmo or other means.

Some of the “for sale” items I post on BackpackingLight are from my use. I also acquire outdoor gear, clothing and books from various sources for resale to help with my retirement income. I endeavor to locate and bring to the market “the best of used” at reasonable prices. Sometimes I list as a service to others, usually for those without computer skills. When possible, I make repairs to keep equipment in use and out of the landfills. Items for sale may not always be the the lightest in weight but they are otherwise all within realms of interest of hikers, backpackers, climbers and travelers.

• This topic was modified 3 minutes ago by .

Detail

Tagged Manufacturers

Tags