SUL Cuben FKT Tarp

I just moved to the Eastern US where I need full on bug protection. My Hexamid will be getting all of the use now.

I had Joe at Zpacks make this custom tarp for me last Winter when I was living in the drier Southwest. It's meant for SUL missions where hard rains are unlikely, yet still possible. Works great with a bivy, or stand alone when there's few bugs around.

See tarp under Forum Index: SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacing Discussion, SUL Cuben Summit Tarp. Got some comments on the thread, but not that many because this tarp is a little too "fringe" for most backpackers. It's perfect for FKT or ADVENTURE RACERS through. Weighs 5.4 oz with lines, but it's much more storm worthy than anything else it's weight. No need for a bivy to keep you dry, blocks blowing rains from all directions and has very little wind resistance.
This is front view of the tarp with the zippered beak closed
I tested this tarp out during a couple of strong Arizona monsoon thunderstorms and it performed perfectly. With the proper pitch and 10 tieouts, this thing is drum tight. Doesn't provide a lot of space but it's bomber protection for 5.3 oz. I wouldn't be afraid of 50 mph winds.

Laid out flat tarp measures 6 ft wide (head) 3 ft wide (foot) and is 9 ft long.
The beak and low foot end make it very rainproof, more like a shaped tarp. I got the idea for this design from Lightwave, a UK company that supplies European adventure racers. This is a little larger than the Lightwave 1 and it has a zippered beak.
This is a picture of the tarp with the beak open and the flaps velcroed to the outer canopy.
(HAVING TROUBLE UPLOADING PIC, SEE ON SUL THREAD.) I paid Joe $300 for the tarp with the zippered beak and it also cost more because Joe wasn't able to use one of his standard patterns. Would be perfect for the PCT or FKT. Asking $225 or best offer.

Detail

Tagged Manufacturers

Tags